Getting through the forms

Permanent Residential.png

The SA457 Permanent Residential Aged Care Request for a Combined Assets and Income Assessment

Applying for government support when entering Residential Aged Care will require the completion of the Residential Aged Care Request for a Combined Assets and Income Assessment.

While the form may seem formidable, large sections are designed to capture detail that may not be relevant to the resident. Also, if the resident is already receiving a payment from the Department of Human Services or the Department of Veteran Affairs, financial details on file already will mean fewer questions to answer.

Breaking it down

The form can be divided into these sections:

  1. Details about the resident (and/or their partner)

  2. Details about the chosen aged care facility

  3. Details about the home (or former home) - including who is still living in it, whether it has been sold, and whether it is a house, unit, farm, caravan, boat or something in between. 

  4. Details about assets.

  5. Details about income.

  6. Details about a nominee to act on your behalf. Whether a person, an organisation, their authority (e.g Power of Attorney), and that they will need to sign to accept the responsibilities and obligations.

How aged care assessment is different to the age pension

While the government may already have detail about  income and assets as part of means testing for the age pension, means testing for aged care requires more information. The amount of support the government will provide can depend on who is still living in the home (such as a spouse, dependent or carer), and whether funds have been applied to a Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD).

What if you do not want to provide any information about your income and assets?

If you choose to not provide any information about income or assets, you will not need to fill in the bulk of the form. You will still need to fill in detail in the nominee section (Question 123-143) to clarify who can act on behalf of the resident.

It is worth clarifying the amount of government support you can expect to receive when deciding whether or not to fill in the form.

We can help.

Brendan Ryan